Thursday, October 15, 2009

Gift of Love sent in Disguise



This morning Amy shared about her journey in front of a large group of the pastoral team at Calvary Church for half an hour. She stood with grace and poise and her face radiated with His peace as she shared what God has been teaching her through this journey with cancer. Through tears at times she spoke about His goodness to her in this time of suffering. It was incredibly moving and such an encouragement for all to hear.

Some of the things she shared:

While I only found out a couple months ago that I had cancer, I know God began preparing me for cancer a while back. I have always prayed that I would be more of a light and lead others to Christ and now I have more of a platform to shine for Him and be His witness to many.

From the very beginning I have prayed for God's will to be done in all of this, not for immediate healing because I consider a privilege that I can suffer for Christ and use this trial to be a light to others. I want others to see the peace I have and know they can have the same peace that only He can give.


















Of course I would love to be healed of this cancer so I can spend many more wonderful years with my amazing husband Ben of 12 1/2 years and be able to love my dear, sweet children Kaitlyn, 5 and Daniel, almost 3...and watch them grow up and mature into what God wants them to be. My husband Ben has been a huge support to me through all of this and it has made us grow even closer together. He is also at complete peace with everything going on in our lives right now and we spend more time with God in prayer then ever before. So I am believing that I will be healed of this cancer, but I am also at peace with death and spending eternity with my Heavenly Father. I want whatever God's will is for my life.

Yesterday, my grandma sent me a poem that I wanted to share with you:
"God, Widen my vision so I may see
the afflictions You have sent to me-
Not as a cross too heavy to bear
that weighs me down in gloomy despair
Not as something to hate and despise
but as a gift of love sent in disguise
Something to draw me closer to You
to teach me patience and forbearance too
Something to show me more clearly the way
to serve You and love You more every day
Something priceless and precious and rare
That will keep me forever safe in Thy care.
Aware of the spiritual strength that is mine
if my selfish, small will is lost in Thine!


Amy shared 13 verses that have been an encouragement to her--some are found at the bottom side and bottom her blog now.

I am looking forward to seeing all the amazing things God is going to do through my cancer and praying to see many come to Him!

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I wish I had known about this. I would have been there in a heartbeat, even though I'm sick! On second thought, maybe it's better I didn't know... :) Love you, Amy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I'm so taken by your joy in your path. Every time I'm with you, hear you talk, see your picture or think of you, the air is thick with Christ. When I hear your name, I think of God's work. Thanks for encouraging our church today and for accepting your life's path so well. God be praised by many and many more, dear friend. I love you!
    Joyous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I would have loved to have been there!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy,
    Christ continues to shine through you & the rest of your family!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, I've said it before... You are an amazing woman and a great testimony! I would have loved to have heard you speak. I know God is doing amazing things through you - love ya!!
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simply amazing! The hope and peace that can be found in Christ alone is just shining forth from you. You are truly an inspiration. I pray that God will use your testimony to be an encouragement to many and to draw many more to Him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy,
    I am a friend of Laurel's and she directed me to your blog. You are an amazing woman and such an encouragement to so many people. I continue to pray for you and for your family.
    Alanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laurel, on behalf of Ben's extended family, thank you so much for keeping us posted on Amy's progress. There are people here in our church in Indiana who are being blessed as they follow Amy. - Claude Beachy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all so much for your prayers and love! I love all of you so very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amy, As I sat here and read just some of the things you shared my eyes just started pouring tears. Tears of complete JOY for you. I have NEVER met or had the priviledge of knowing someone of such strength. You and Ben are one of the most amazing couples. Truely IN LOVE with your Jesus. That is absolutely SHOUTING out of the two of oyu as oyu travel this very difficult, and exhausting journey. May God truely be praise forever and ever. I love you so much. There are no words to express just how inspiring you are in all of this. I love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amy,

    I have never met you, but wanted to let you know that you are inspiration....a woman with grace, wisdom, and true character. May you keep strong while God takes you along this journey and keep being a light as you are now! You are in my family's prayers.
    Dana Cortright

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was super challenging to read what you shared! Thanks for being so open with your journey.

    ReplyDelete