Monday, September 14, 2009

Dear Family and Friends,

Our family had a relaxing time at the beach last week, even though the weather wasn't the best. The night before we left I did catch a cold and haven't been feeling the best. Then Sunday morning I woke up and had a rash all over my body. I'm not quite sure what I am allergic too and neither was the Dr. this morning. Last night I was up most of the night because I was so itchy.

This morning, Ben, my mom and I met with Dr. Gottlieb and he went over all my results. My MUGA heart test looked great, and the biopsy of my lymph node did show that it was low-grade. Dr. Gottlieb said that low-grade non-hodgkin lymphoma tends to come back quicker over time, so over the years they will keep an eye on my body and continue to do scans to make sure that it is under control. The bone marrow biopsies did show a small amount of lymphoma in the bones. Overall he was very encouraged by all the results as well as the blood work looking pretty good.

This Wednesday morning, September 16th, I will be starting my first chemo treatment at LGH at 8am. They said it will probably be five to eight hours long. My mom will take me in to the hospital and my dad will stay here with the kids. Then my sister is going to meet us in there and stay with me all day and my mom will come back and watch Kaitlyn and Daniel the rest of the time. I am so blessed to have an amazing family who is so loving, supportive and encouraging, and all of you dear friends who have meant so much to me! Thank you all so much for your prayers!!

I was really ministered to by a song we sang in church yesterday, In Christ Alone, and wanted to share it with you:


In Christ alone my hope is found,
He is my light, my strength, my song;
this Cornerstone, this solid Ground,
firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace,
when fears are stilled, when strivings cease!
My Comforter, my All in All,
here in the love of Christ I stand.
In Christ alone! who took on flesh
Fullness of God in helpless babe!
This gift of love and righteousness
Scorned by the ones he came to save:
Till on that cross as Jesus died,
The wrath of God was satisfied -
For every sin on Him was laid;
Here in the death of Christ I live.
There in the ground His body lay
Light of the world by darkness slain:
Then bursting forth in glorious Day
Up from the grave he rose again!
And as He stands in victory
Sin’s curse has lost its grip on me,
For I am His and He is mine -
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.
No guilt in life, no fear in death,
This is the power of Christ in me;
From life’s first cry to final breath.
Jesus commands my destiny.
No power of hell, no scheme of man,
Can ever pluck me from His hand;
Till He returns or calls me home,
Here in the power of Christ I’ll stand.

To God be the Glory!!

Love,
Amy


Amy could use meals starting Wednesday for the next 2 weeks. If you are able to provide meals, please comment below and list which day you will be able to drop one by. Thank you so much.

Also, as Amy will most likely be fatigued during this time, we'll be posting when childcare would be needed/helpful.

11 comments:

  1. I'd be happy to bring a meal on Mon., Sept. 21st. Are there any dietary restrictions/preferences I should know about?
    :) Marni Van Grouw

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could bring a meal on Wed the 23. Let me also know of preferences or restrictions.
    Love you Amy.
    Tiffany Porter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    I can bring Amy a meal on September 29th. I also can pick up her kids on September 25th and take them to Lake Grub with me for some playtime and a picnic lunch. I could come around 10:00am and drop them off around 1:30/2:00 if she would like that. I can do any housework too if needed. Just let me know. Wendy Shonk 653-9095

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will take care of them Wednesday the 16th. I will call ahead of time and drop enough food off to feed the family as well those caring for the kiddos. I'll also have a couple muffins for the morning after. If you have any questions let me know at 435-9245(h).

    Becky Hager

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will make a meal for friday, September 18th. I'll drop it off at the house at 4:30pm. Please let me know if there's any allergies or prefferences. :) My phone number is 917-8151 and email coffeeinwater@gmail.com. Love you all, Joyous

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can bring a meal on Thursday the 17th.....I can also watch the kids that day too. Let me know Amy....you know I'm just a hop, skip, and a jump away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would LOVE to bring a meal to them on Thursday, the 17th. I will plan to be there at 5pm.
    Jen Fisher

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you everybody for being so kind and generous. For those of you who were curious about restrictions or preferences, in general I am trying to eat healthier, but we will be happy with whatever meal you decide to bring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can bring a meal on Tuesday, the 22nd. I could drop off b/n 4 and 5pm if that is ok! We will be thinking and praying for you all day on Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amy i can come clean or babysit Thursday are a good day for me-let me know Sherri 333-4091

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Amy,
    The itchies is a very common symptom of the lymphoma itself, it goes away with the treatment real quick. Good luck with your first chemo tomorrow. I'm assuming you're getting RCHOP, your first will be eight hours because you'll get the Rituxin very slowly the first time because allergic reactions to it are common. Make sure you tell your nurse right away if you get cold or start to shiver and your heart starts to race. That's the first sign of a problem and the sooner they get to you and start the reaction procedures the better. So just be warry. Once through the first one without a reaction then you know you'll be ok and they will start to deliver it faster down to five hours.
    After your first treatment you'll feel fine just a little weak till late the next day. Then it'll hit you. I tried to fight it and found that the more you fought it the more it fought back. I learned just to go to bed and sleep it off and roll with it. I got over the chemo fog faster that way.
    Just a little advise for the meals for you. Remember how it was when you were pregnant? That's how it will be, some things will make you nauseas and some things you'll crave and it will constantly change so keep the menu for you fairly immediate.
    I'll just try in give a little advice that I know the doctors don't tell you so you are not taken off guard and get scared like I was.

    ReplyDelete